Friday 18 May 2018

Valhallan Ice Warriors: Part 1 (Astra Militarum/Imperial Guard)


1994 marked a major shift for the Imperial Guard: the generic Rogue Trader era guardsmen were replaced by Imperial Guard models themed around the home worlds these regiments were drawn from.  From 1994 to 2000, Citadel Miniatures produced a wide range of metal Imperial Guard models.  During this period, a metal range of Valhallan Ice Warriors, a World War 2 Soviet Union themed Imperial Guard army, were introduced.  The Valhallan Ice Warriors miniatures were sculpted by legendary Citadel Miniatures sculptor Alan Perry.


 Valhallan Ice Warriors out of the box

Valhallan Ice Warriors out of the box


I recently ordered the 10-man squad of metal Valhallan Ice Warriors through the Games Workshop online store.  The squad cost $50 Canadian and I received the miniatures within a couple of days (plus, since I combined my order with a squad of Tallarn Desert Raiders, I received free shipping).  The Valhallan Ice Warriors set includes a sergeant with a bolt pistol and chainsword and nine guardsmen with lasguns (two of the guardsmen shared the same sculpt).

Valhallan Assault and Heavy Weapons:  While Citadel Miniatures created a full range of Valhallan Ice Warriors, including assault weapon operators and heavy weapons teams, the only Valhallan miniatures currently sold by Games Workshop are the 10-man Valhallan Ice Warriors set. Ebay is an option of finding the older Valhallan assault weapons troopers and heavy weapons teams.  Another option is Victoria Miniatures, which sells a range of ‘Valhallan style’ guardsmen and guardswomen.  Victoria Miniatures is the option that I went with and have placed an order of fives guardsmen with assault weapons at the time of writing this post (my order included meltaguns, which will allow me to build Ciaphas Cain’s trusted sidekick/aide Ferik Jurgen, from Sandy Mitchell’s Ciaphas Cain series).



 Valhallan Sergeant with two Guardsmen

Valhallan Guardsman, two duplicate sculpts (right)

Valhallan guardsmen with lasguns

In the next post in this series, I will be painting the Valhallan Ice Warriors squad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dungeon & Dragon Miniatures: Board Game Miniatures Part 3

    Board Game Miniatures   My previous posts featured board game miniatures I painted for my D&D games.   Since my last post, ...